Your spray tan appointment is getting closer and now you’re starting to wonder.
What should you wear to spray tan to avoid getting tan lines? Should you shower beforehand or prep your skin? Or is there’s anything at all you should do to ensure you get that bronze tan of your dreams?
No need to worry! Those are some common questions that most people tend to have before their session, especially if they’re a newbie to spray tans.
That’s why today, I’ll help you get the most important worry out of the way – what to wear to spray tan?
Here’s everything you should know.
- Spray tanning is a great way to achieve a natural-looking and healthy skin glow.
- If you want to make the most out of your spray tan, wear appropriate and comfortable clothes to your appointment.
- You don’t have to spray tan topless; wearing appropriate underwear or loose clothes will do the trick too.
- Wear loose-fitting dark clothes that don’t cause any friction on your skin to avoid your fresh spray tan from rubbing off.
Choosing What to Wear to Spray Tan
First of all, when choosing what to wear to spray tan, you should know that comfort always comes first. Whatever you choose to wear, have in mind that you should feel relaxed and comfortable during your appointment.
There are different ways to do self-tanning. You can go totally naked, half-nude (only your swimsuit), or with clothes on.
Spray tanning in the nude is the best way to get an even tan and avoid ugly tan lines. But if you don’t feel comfortable with going topless, that’s perfectly fine too.
You can still get an even spray tan with clothes on. However, you have to pay attention when choosing what to wear to avoid getting visible tan lines.
In general, the fewer clothes you have on, the better.
If you want to prevent the terrible unevenness on your skin, you have to wear appropriate clothes during a spray tan.
Even if you’re comfortable doing spray tanning fully naked, you still need to pay attention to what you’re going to wear after your appointment.
After all, you don’t want your brand new tan to rub off right after your session, right? That’s why it’s important to choose appropriate clothes even after you get a spray tan.
So, what are the do’s and dont’s of spray tanning attire? Let’s find out!
What to Wear During a Spray Tan
Wearing the right clothes to your spray tan appointment will ensure minimal tan lines and even tanning. But comfort is key, as always.
Some women choose to do it in their underwear, other women go in the nude, but as I said, you shouldn’t do anything that makes you feel uncomfortable.
If you do choose to go with some clothing pieces on, I suggest you wear something old because spray tanning can leave stains.
The same goes for your bra and panties. Don’t wear something you intend to wear again, because you might ruin it during your spray tanning session.
Make sure you wear loose and comfy clothes. Ideally, you should wear a flowy dress or loose clothes without elastic. They won’t rub on your skin and cause discoloration.
Also, you don’t want to wear anything light-colored to a spray tan because it could easily get stained and ruined. It’s much better to wear dark clothing. Even if you choose to go in your underwear, make sure it’s black and preferably old.
Your spray tan artist may even offer you disposable thongs, but you can even bring some along to avoid ruining any of your beloved silky panties.
Finally, choose open-toed shoes (for example flip flops) for your spray tan session to prevent the spray tan solution from instantly smudging or smearing on your skin.
Now that you know what to wear to spray tan, it’s equally essential to know what NOT to wear. Here are some don’ts of spray tanning.
- Remove all of your jewelry or leave them at home before your appointment;
- Don’t wear socks or tights;
- Don’t wear tight, close-toed shoes to avoid the smudge;
- Avoid light-colored clothes or underwear;
- Avoid tight clothing altogether.
Related: What is the best spray tan machine?
What to Wear After a Spray Tan
What you wear after your spray tan is almost equally important as what you wear during the appointment.
You’ve come all this way to get the bronzy tan of your dreams! Of course, you don’t want to ruin it now by making a rookie mistake immediately after your appointment.
No worries, I’ve got you covered. Here are some spray tan tips on what to wear afterward to prevent your tan from rubbing off.
- Wear loose-fitting clothes – After getting a spray tan, make sure you go for airy clothing that won’t make you sweat or cause your fresh spray tan to run;
- Choose dark clothing – Again, light-colored clothes are a big NO, especially if they’re some of your favorite pieces. Instead, go for dark clothes;
- Sleep in loose-fitting pajamas – Yes, your brand new spray tan can rub off during the night too, so make sure you sleep in airy nightwear;
- Bring your flip-flips – Avoid strappy sandals or close-toed shoes because they may ruin your fresh spray tan as well.
Spray tanning is a great and quick option if you want to get the beautiful and glowing skin of your dreams before an important event. But if you want to make the most out of your spray tans, you need to wear clothes that won’t rub on your skin.
So, wear clothes that don’t cause any friction on your skin. As I said, your safest bet is to wear airy, loose-fitting clothing, preferably in dark colors.
What you wear after your spray tan is equally important as what you have on during the session. So, follow all of the above-mentioned tips to get the most out of your fresh spray tan.