Let’s be honest, who doesn’t want to be sun-kissed all year round? We all want to look bronzy and fresh – like we’ve just gotten back from the beach. Without a doubt, a glowing complexion can elevate any look and bring any outfit to another level.
Spray tanning is a great option to achieve that instantly bronzed look without spending an entire day at the beach or exposing yourself to the harmful UV lights in tanning beds.
But while spray tanning can boost your skin’s appearance, there is a catch – spray tans just don’t last very long. So, is there a way to extend the life of your fresh tan and look bronzy longer?
As a matter of fact, there is a way to do this. The key is to moisturize, moisturize, and moisturize!
To ensure your sun-kissed glow doesn’t fade away completely after a week, all you have to do is use the right moisturizing lotion after your spray tan appointment.
Without further ado, let’s talk about the importance of post-tanning moisturization and the best lotion to use after spray tan.
- Spray tanning is one of the most effective ways to get a tan look without endangering your health.
- The only catch when it comes to spray tanning is that it doesn’t last very long. It typically lasts for a week, depending on the amount of hydration and the level of proper aftercare.
- If you want your fresh glowy tan to last longer, the trick is to moisturize your skin after getting a spray tan.
- Moisturizing after a spray tan is important because it extends the life of your fresh tan, helps slow down the fading process, and makes your spray tan fade evenly.
- The best lotion to use after spray tan is CeraVe Moisturizing Cream. Other hydrating lotions to try are Aveeno Active Naturals Daily Moisturizing Lotion, Vaseline Intensive Care, and SheaMoisture Argan Oil & Raw Shea Butter Body Lotion.
Why You Should Moisturize Your Skin After Getting a Spray Tan?
A proper skin preparation goes a long way when it comes to spray tanning. And the same goes for aftercare. Just like you should exfoliate the skin to avoid getting an uneven tan, you should also remember to moisturize the skin after your spray tan session.
Despite what many spray tan newbies think, avoiding moisturization after a spray tan will NOT make your tan last longer. Quite the opposite; it will result in dry skin and a patchy look.
Spray tan maintenance is all about proper hydration.
There are plenty of reasons why you should use a lotion after getting a spray tan. First and foremost, moisturization is essential for healthy skin. On top of that, properly hydrated skin will ensure your new tan remains fresh for a longer period.
Before you attend a spray tan appointment, make sure you shave, exfoliate and moisturize the skin. This is how you’ll prevent dry patches from forming on your skin, resulting in an uneven tan.
It’s equally important to keep the skin hydrated after your spray tan session.
However, keep in mind that your new tan needs time to develop, so don’t rush to the shower right after you return from the tanning salon. Let the spray tan solution do its magic. After a couple of hours, you can continue with your aftercare.
Related: What is the best spray tan machine?
What Ingredients to Look for in a Spray Tan Lotion?
Nobody wants an uneven and patchy tan, that’s a fact! But how do you make your tan last longer? The answer is: You need to use the right products, of course.
If you’re wondering what ingredients can help you maintain a sun-kissed glow, I’ve got you covered.
There’s a wide range of spray tan lotions on the market that deserve your attention. And we’ll get to that later in this article where I’ll share with you some of the best lotions to try.
However, it may be a good idea to know which ingredients to look for in a product when trying to extend the life of your spray tan.
In general, you can’t go wrong with all-natural ingredients because they’re the best for keeping your skin nourished and healthy.
The most beneficial ingredients that will keep your skin hydrated and your tan fresh are:
- shea butter
- coconut oil
- aloe vera
- fractionated coconut oil
- jojoba oil
If you want to know which ingredients to avoid after getting a spray tan, keep on reading to find out.
The Best Lotions to Use After Spray Tan
1. Aveeno Active Naturals Daily Moisturizing Lotion
If you’re looking for the best lotion to use after a spray tan, Aveeno Active Naturals Daily Moisturizing Lotion is a must-try. This nourishing body lotion is suitable for dry skin, normal skin, and sensitive skin. It can help improve your skin’s health while making it soft and smooth.
It’s fragrance-free, alcohol-free, and non-comedogenic – all the more reasons to give it a try after getting a fresh spray tan.
2. CeraVe Moisturizing Cream
Another must-try is this fantastic CeraVe Moisturizing Cream. Not only does this lotion provide deep hydration, but it also helps prevent moisture loss. It’s a win-win for your skin!
It contains hyaluronic acid, which is one of the most powerful hydrating ingredients that all skincare gurus swear by. If you want a body lotion that will nourish and replenish your skin, this is the one to try.
3. Vaseline Intensive Care with Pure Cocoa Butter
Made with 100% pure cocoa and shea butter, Vaseline Intensive Care Body Lotion reveals the skin’s natural radiance and provides a glowing complexion. This rich and non-greasy cream can do wonders for your skin, especially after a spray tanning session.
If you have dull or dry skin, make sure you give this Vaseline lotion a try to restore your skin’s health.
4. SheaMoisture Argan Oil & Raw Shea Butter Body Lotion
As I mentioned, shea butter is one of the natural ingredients that can help you hydrate the skin after getting a spray tan. And this product is packed with it!
SheaMoisture Argan Oil & Raw Shea Butter Body Lotion will keep your skin hydrated and make it smooth and radiant. It’s particularly useful for those who have dry skin or sensitive skin because it provides deep hydration and absorbs quickly into the skin.
5. All Good Organic Coconut Oil
Another natural product is this All Good Organic Coconut Oil Lotion made with organic cold-pressed, unrefined virgin coconut oil. It’s chemical-free and full of beneficial oil. So if you want a hydrating body lotion to replenish your skin after spray tans, this is the product to try.
Your skin will love the deep hydration powers of coconut oil. Not only will you be moisturized all day long every day, but you’ll have that natural glowing complexion that you’ve always dreamt of.
6. Jergens Natural Glow 3-Day Self Tanner
Jergens Natural Glow Self Tanner is packed with vitamins and antioxidants that will leave your skin glowy and hydrated. Since this is a self-tanning lotion, you can use it as an additional step in your spray tanning routine. It will fit in perfectly with your skincare routine because it will give you an extra boost of hydration and color.
7. Hempz Original, Natural Hemp Seed Oil Body Moisturizer
Hempz Original is another potent, yet natural body moisturizer. Rich in omega-6, omega-3 fatty acids, Vitamins A, C, and E, this product provides tremendous benefits to the skin. Not only does it helps soothe inflammation, but it also provides deep hydration to the skin.
If you want a natural body lotion that will keep your skin hydrated and make your spray tan last longer, try this natural product made of natural hemp seed oil.
8. St. Ives Renewing Collagen & Elastin Moisturizer
St. Ives Renewing Collagen and Elastin Moisturizer is another fantastic product to try. Intended for facial hydration, it’s packed with nourishing safflower seed oil that will hydrate your skin without greasing it up.
Perfect for dry skin, this rich cream minimizes the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles while promoting a smooth, youthful look.
9. Alba Botanica Very Emollient Body Lotion
If you have severely dry skin, Alba Botanica Very Emollient Body Lotion is a must-try. Infused with botanical emollients such as shea butter, avocado oil, and jojoba seed oil, this rich body lotion provides maximum moisture and rejuvenates the skin.
Besides the powerful botanicals, this formula is also made with antioxidants and alpha hydroxy acids that can relieve your tired skin and significantly improve your complexion.
10. TruSkin Vitamin C Face Moisturizer
When talking about the best lotions to use after getting a spray tan, we have to mention this vitamin C-infused formula. TruSkin Face Moisturizer is a lightweight, yet ultra-effective cream that offers the tremendous benefits of vitamin C.
Not only does it effectively diminish signs of sun damage, but it also promotes your skin’s natural health and refines skin texture. It features plant-powered ingredients such as aloe, green tea, and shea butter, alongside vitamin B5 to promote healthy-looking and moisturized skin.
What Not to Use After Spray Tan?
Now that you know how to properly moisturize the skin and maintain your fresh spray tan, it’s time to talk about the ingredients that are not so good for your fresh tan, and your skin’s health for that matter.
Some ingredients simply don’t work that well with sunless tanning formulas. They can make your spray tan fade unevenly, resulting in patchy and peeling-looking skin.
On top of that, some products can make your new tan fade more quickly or even dry out your skin. Here are the ingredients to stay away from when choosing an aftercare body lotion.
- Mineral oil
- Essential Oils
- Anti-aging products containing Retin-A, Glycolic, or AHAs
- Anti-acne products containing Salicylic Acid
Additional Tips for Extending Your Spray Tan
Using a good lotion after getting a spray tan is very important, but it’s not enough to make your tan last longer. There are some additional steps in your preparation and aftercare that will help you have the perfect glowy skin.
Here are some of the most vital tips for extending your spray tan.
- Exfoliate at least 4 hours before your spray tanning session – Exfoliation is a good way to aid the tanning formula to adhere to your skin and avoid unwanted discoloration;
- Moisturize regularly, but wait 4 hours after coming back from the tanning salon – Just like I said, hydration is critical for prolonging the life of your fresh spray tan;
- Steer clear of tight clothing – Forget about tights, tight jeans, or shorts after you get a spray tan. Instead, wear loose and airy clothes that will allow your new tan to fully absorb into the skin and last longer than the typical seven days;
- Take a shower 4 hours after your spray tan appointment – Make sure you give your skin enough time to absorb the fresh tan so it can develop nicely and evenly;
- Avoid hot showers – Spending too much time in the water is off-limits after a spray tan because it will make your fresh tan fade right away;
- Avoid harsh chemicals – Stay away from abrasive soaps or scrubs, alcoholic ingredients, and chemicals in general.
Spray tans are a great option when you have a special event coming up and you want to look your best. Nothing beats that fresh sun-kissed glow, that’s for sure!
But all good things come to an end, and your brand new spray tan is no exception. It typically lasts for seven days, which means you need to go to the tanning salon on a regular basis to stay tanned all year round.
The good news is that you can get the most out of your fresh tan by using the right hydrating lotions. With proper care, you can easily extend the life of your tan beyond the typical seven days.
If you’re a newbie to spray tanning, follow the above-mentioned tips to make the most out of your bronzy look.
As always, proper skincare is key, so make sure you give your skin what it deserves!