Having acne-prone skin isn’t easy, and using the wrong products can cause a bad breakout that also leaves a mark on your confidence.
With so many products to pick from, finding the right self-tanner for sensitive skin can be challenging considering many products contain chemicals that could irritate. We’re going to share with you the best face self-tanner for acne-prone skin available on the market.
Best Face Self-Tanners for Acne-Prone Skin: Our Top 5 Picks
1. Best Overall: Bondi Sands Self Tanning Foam
- The formula contains aloe vera and coconut, which helps to soothe irritated and dry skin.
- It’s a lightweight foam that only requires a minimal amount for an even application.
- You can use it on the body and face eliminating the need to buy two separate products.
Bondi Sands is a brand used and loved by many self-tanners around the world. It’s formulated with high-quality ingredients that provide you with a natural-looking tan without clogging your pores.
The added aloe vera is what makes this product our best overall, as it helps to soothe irritated skin while the coconut adds moisture and a lovely summer scent.
It’s recommended that you apply the lightweight foam using an application mitt. You can apply the product to your entire body and then use the leftover product on the mitt to tan your face.
One slight concern with this face tanner is that it doesn’t dry—it remains sticky on the skin for up to an hour. If you plan on applying it before bed, make sure you give it a full hour to dry before heading to bed to prevent smudging and patchiness.
- Bondi Sands Self Tanning Foam is a lightweight, tanner that’s simple to apply and gives a flawless finish, every time. Simply smooth on the weightless self tanning foam for an even, streak-free, bronzed tan.
- Our unique, salon quality formula is enriched with aloe vera and coconut, for the ultimate natural, bronzed glow.
- Using a mitt, apply foam using long, sweeping motions to clean, dry skin. Skin may be washed after one hour.
2. Best Quick-Dry Tanner: St. Tropez Self Tan Bronzing Mousse
- The formula dries within 60 seconds, enabling you to get on with your day without worrying about your tan.
- Hydrates your skin for 24 hours, suggesting it’s suitable for dry and irritated skin.
- Fades evenly, making it easier to reapply when needed.
The St. Tropez Mousse is a lightweight formula that dries instantly and won’t leave you feeling sticky. You can apply it using an application mitt for a streak-free result—you only need to use a small measure on your face and neck.
If you have easily-irritated skin, using natural products is a good way to prevent a breakout. The formula contains naturally-derived DHA and is free of paraben, sulfate, and phthalate. Additionally, the mousse has a mood-boosting fragrance that slowly fades as the tan dries.
It does fade rather quickly, and users reported having to reapply often. Luckily, you don’t need much product for an even application, so the bottle should last you a while.
- Our most iconic, fool proof and natural-looking tan. This tinted tanning mousse is easy-to-apply, streak-free and adapts to your skin tone for up to 10 days wear with no self tan smell. Best for first time tanners or trusted results time and again
- Get a trusted natural golden tan with St.Tropez Classic sunless tanning mousse. A long-lasting, lightweight and 100% clean fake tan with an instant hint of tint. Providing 24 hours hydration, our self tan formula is quick drying and non-sticky
- Prior to application, moisturize any dry areas including elbows, knees, ankles and feet to prevent an uneven tan. Use the St.Tropez tan applicator mitt in long sweeping motions for streak-free results, wait 60 seconds before getting dressed
3. Best with SPF: Jergens Natural Glow
- Contains sun-blocking properties, providing you with protection against damaging UV rays.
- Oil-free, the formula is light and won’t sink into your pores to provoke a breakout.
- Moisturizes and tans, it gives you an even tan while keeping your skin moisturized and fresh.
The Jergens Natural Glow self-tanner and moisturizer is a lightweight cream that does more than simply add a tint to your look. It was explicitly designed for use on the face, with its oil-free formula and nourishing emollients that keep your skin moisturized throughout the day.
You can use the cream in the morning before applying your makeup or using it before bed and wake up with a tan. Jergens recommends that you use it at least once daily for several days to build up a tan.
Unlike most self-tanners, this one is SPF 20, providing you with protection from UVA and UVB rays.
Users are overall happy with the product. There were some issues with the old formula’s scent; however, Jergens improved it in the new formula.
- FLAWLESS SELF TANNER - Create a flawless tan for gradual, natural-looking color before, or after, the beach
- PROTECTION FROM THE SUN - Our lightweight Natural Glow face moisturizer keeps your skin hydrated and includes broad-spectrum UVA and UVB protection
- ACHIEVE A HEALTHY-LOOKING TONE - With Jergens Daily Moisturizer's blend of nutrients and skin-tone enhancers, expect a beautiful, natural-looking facial tan within a week. Try going makeup free in 7 days!
- FRESH SCENTED SUNLESS TANNING - Jergens Natural Glow self-tanning daily facial moisturizers will keep you feeling fresh with a light and fresh scent
- DAILY SKIN HYDRATION - Simply use as your daily face lotion, smoothing on evenly to freshly cleansed face
4. Best Light Tan: St. Tropez Purity Bronzing Water Face Mist
- Provides a light to medium tan that looks subtle on the face and not orange.
- Easy to apply, requires no rinsing, and you can use it under or over makeup as part of your routine.
- Toxin-free formula, helping to keep breakouts at bay.
If you’re looking for a self-tanner that can become a part of your everyday routine, this mist might just be what you need. It’s quick and easy to apply by spritzing it on under or over your makeup.
The formula is free of toxins such as sulfate, paraben, and phthalate, not to irritate sensitive skin. Furthermore, it contains hyaluronic and other non-pore blocking ingredients to prevent a breakout.
Finding a self-tanner for fair skin isn’t easy; however, the lightness of this St. Tropez tanner will only give you a light bronzed glow without leaving you orange. Many fair-skinned users were pleased with the results.
One slight issue that many users found was that it tends to rub off throughout the day, especially in warm weather.
- Achieve a golden glow with our easy to use, skincare infused self tanner spray with Hyaluronic Acid. With an ultra-lightweight formula, our quick drying self tan mist lasts for days with no need to be rinsed off. Simply spritz and glow!
- Designed to instantly hydrate skin while forming a golden, streak-free tan, our vegan-friendly tanning face mist is clear so you can achieve a sunless glow without having to worry about any transfer
- Infused with 100% natural tanning active and hyaluronic acid for an instant radiance boost. Spritz under or over make-up for a natural post-holiday glow and skincare boost
5. Best Gradual Tanner: COOLA Organic Sunless Tan Anti-Aging Face Serum
If you want a gradual tan that develops slowly over time, this serum might be what you need. The organic formula is GMO-, paraben-, and cruelty-free, made of 99 percent natural ingredients, including plant stem cell cultures that act as an anti-aging agent.
In addition to that, the formula contains algae and hyaluronic acid, which binds to moisture, helping your skin stay moisturized. The algae help to detoxify, soften, and moisturize your skin while restoring essential vitamins and nutrients into your skin.
The serum works by gradually building up a tan over several days. When you reach your desired tan, use the serum ever so often as a touch-up.
However, it doesn’t last for long before it requires a touch-up. Most consumers would apply the tanner every other day to keep up the color.
- CERTIFIED ORGANIC INGREDIENTS: COOLA believes in healthy skin and suncare. We use Ecocert Cosmos Certified Organic ingredients in our anti-aging face serum, to help protect you and the environment you live in. We choose the most innovative, scientifically advanced ingredients that are also as natural, organic, sustainable, and locally sourced as can be
- ANTI-AGING: Plant Stem Cell Cultures help reduce signs of premature skin aging and create a sheer, lightweight face serum with anti-agers and gradual self-tanner
- NOURISHES SKIN: Argan Oil and Hyaluronic Acid nourish skin and help you look more youthful, radiant, and just a little bit bronzy
- BEST FACE FORWARD: Our Sunless Tan Anti-Aging Face Serum gives you a natural-looking glow with the skin-protecting benefits of natural anti-agers and vitamins. Use for several days to achieve a soft, subtle tan, then continue applying daily if you want to keep up the effect
- FARM TO FACE: We believe in formulating our products with certified organic and non-GMO ingredients that follow sustainable farming practices, support local communities, and reduce the usage of pesticides that contaminate our bodies, waterways, and environment
Face Self-Tanner for Acne-Prone Skin: Guide & FAQ
Choosing the Right Self-Tanner for Your Face
Finding the best self-tanner for your acne-prone skin doesn’t require extensive ingredient research. Instead, you should watch out for products that are oil and alcohol-free. Products labeled as non-comedogenic or non-acnegenic won’t clog pores, minimizing the chances of white- and blackheads.
How Does Self-Tanner Work?
Self-tanners, also known as sunless tanning products, contain a color additive known as dihydroxyacetone (DHA). The ingredient reacts with the dead skin cells on your skin’s surface and temporarily darkens your skin, giving you a tan.
How long the tan lasts depends on the product. Cell turnover occurs quickly on the face, which means the tan will begin to fade within a few days.
Self-tanners are available in different forms, including creams, mousses, serums, and sprays. You can also go to a tanning salon to get a professional spray-on.
Advantages of Using Self-Tanner on Face
One of the main advantages of self-tanners is that you can get that summer glow without spending a minute in the sun. One of the primary causes of skin cancer is exposure to UV rays as they break down the DNA within the skin cells.
If you’ve had acne breakouts, you might have a few acne scars. These blemishes can sometimes be worse than the acne itself as they can be harder to get rid of. A well-applied tanning product can cover them up, giving you a more even skin tone and a confidence-boost.
Disadvantages of Using Self-Tanner on Face
Although self-tanner can help cover up acne scars, it won’t be as successful at covering up active acne. Since tanners work by reacting with dead skin cells, they can make your breakout more visible by darkening the area around the pimples.
Pimples often occur when the pores are clogged by dead skin cells, and if you apply self-tanner on and around a pimple, you might end up with uneven results.
Using the wrong kind of self-tanner on acne-prone skin can also lead to a breakout. Chemicals such as parabens are a common ingredient in these products; however, these can be harsh on the skin, leading to breakouts.
Tips to Properly Use Self-Tanner on Face
Applying a self-tanner for a flawless look requires more than smearing on a lotion. Here are some pointers to achieve that glowy finish:
- Prepare your skin: Always start by exfoliating your skin. Exfoliation removes dead skin cells and gives you a clean surface to work on for an even finish. Make sure you use an oil-free exfoliant since the oil can prevent the tanner from absorbing into your skin.
- Apply a base: Whether you’re using a mist, drops, serum, or lotion, apply an even base layer around your face. Remember to bring it up to your hairline, around your neck and ears.
- Set the tanner: This is a completely optional step that you can do if you apply the tanner before bed. Simply apply a translucent powder over the tanner to keep it from smudging and creating a patchy look.
Does Sunless Tanner Clog Pores?
No, sunless tanner itself doesn’t clog pores, however, other ingredients in the specific formula can. Therefore, it’s essential to choose the right kind of self-tanner for your face, look out for ones that are non-comedogenic or non-acnegenic.
Can You Use Body Self-Tanner on Your Face?
Yes, it is possible to use body self-tanner on your face, however, we don’t recommend it. Manufacturers formulate self-tanners specifically to suit this area.
The face tends to darken slightly more than the body, so if you choose to use a body tanner on your face, make sure you dilute it with a non-oil-based moisturizer first.
Using self-tanner on your face can be daunting—you don’t want to end up looking like a Cheeto—and it can feel worse when the product causes a breakout. By using the best face self-tanner for acne-prone skin, you can achieve a nice summer glow without exposing your skin to damaging UV rays.
Go for oil-free formulas, such as the Bondi Sands Self Tanning Foam, to ensure the tanner won’t clog your pores, causing a breakout. It should also be free of toxins, such as parabens, to keep your skin healthy and happy.