If you have oily skin, you are already familiar with its side-effects. What you might not know is that the best cleanser for face can really make a whole lot of difference in how your skin looks and feels. Let’s have a look at ten face washes that are great for oily skin but for different reasons!
Best Facial Cleansers for Oily Skin: Our Top 10 Picks
1. Best Overall: La Roche-Posay Effaclar Purifying Foaming Gel Cleanser
- Best face wash that is suitable sensitive skin
- Gentle cleanser to eliminate oil in excess to be used in the mornings and evenings
- Can clear up breakouts after a short period of use
- The skin feels refreshed after using the purifying foam
- Doesn’t dry out the face, unlike most products designed for acne-prone skin
2. CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser
- Best face wash for oily skin formulated with hyaluronic acid
- Suitable to use on the face, but also hands and the body
- Unique ceramide formula that removes dirt without making the skin dry
- It has a thick consistency but makes a foamy lather
- The cleanser is an effective makeup remover
3. The Face Shop Rice Water Bright Light Cleansing Oil
- Best cleansing oil with skin brightening properties
- Leaves skin moisturized after cleansing
- Formulated with vitamins A, B, E, minerals and ceramide to nourish the skin
- Suitable to be used on the eye area as a gentle makeup remover
- The skin is softer, smoother and more even after application
4. Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser
- Best face wash for deep cleaning pores and oil
- Hypoallergenic and mild formula designed for sensitive, normal and oily skin
- It doesn’t clog pores
- Low lather formula
- Suitable for everyday use, even on acne or blemish-prone skin.
5. Garnier SkinActive Micellar Cleansing Water
- Best micellar cleansing water for oily and combination skin
- Formulated to leave a matte finish on oily skin
- Doesn’t require rinsing, you can continue with your regular routine
- It can be applied on the face with a cotton pad, no need for rubbing or massaging the area
- Leaves skin supple and refreshed
6. Alaffia Purely Coconut Face Cleanser
- The best face wash with coconut oil for all skin types
- It gently cleanses the skin while retaining the moisture inside
- The formula of liquid soap with a light consistency
- Can help refine the aspect of the enlarged pores
- Suitable to use in the eye area to remove mascara
7. Bioderma Sebium Foaming Gel Facial Cleanser
- Best cleansing gel to improve skin tolerance to active ingredients
- Purify and cleanses skin without leaving behind a tight sensation
- Promotes perfectly clear skin and prevents breakouts
- It eliminates the excess oil while hydrating the skin
- Can help even your skin tone
8. La Roche-Posay Toleriane Face Wash Cleanser
- Best purifying cleanser for normal to oily skin
- Formula enriched with thermal water, niacinamide, and glycerin
- The foaming cleanser has a gel-like texture
- Doesn’t irritate acne-prone skin or overly sensitive skin
- One bottle can last up to three months
9. Mary Kay TimeWise 3-in-1 Cleanser
- Best age-fighting cleanser for combination and oily skin
- Leaves skin refreshed, clean and balanced
- Gently exfoliates skin to promote cellular rejuvenation and remove dead skin cells
- Reduces signs of acne in time
10. Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash
- Best 100% natural skincare for oily skin
- Can help soothe skin irritations
- A mild, but effective cleanser that can also remove makeup
- Not suitable for the eye area
- Can be used as a gentle exfoliator to eliminate dead skin cells from the surface of the skin
Facial Cleanser for Oily Skin: Buyer’s Guide
The first step towards a healthy, glowing complexion is a cleansed skin.
While we love to wear makeup and we certainly enjoy all the magic tricks we can do with it, it is important to keep in mind that the skincare product we use to remove this makeup is essential for skin health too. And when it comes to cleansing the skin, it doesn’t really matter whether you like to wear makeup every day, or you just apply it on special occasions.
Either way, you need a good cleanser to help you get rid of the impurities and dust that accumulate at the level of the skin. The best cleanser should remove the dirt and impurities from the surface of the skin and hence unclog the pores helping you avoid whiteheads or blackheads, as well as other skin issues such as acne.
It is important to keep in mind that for different skin types, we need differently formulated cleansers. Let’s have a look at suitable face washes for oily skin.
Related: CeraVe Renewing SA Cleanser review
What cleansers are good for oily skin?
Of all the skin types, oily and combination skin is probably the most challenging. Common issues associated with oily skin are excess oil, enlarged pores, and even occasional breakouts.
Using one of the best face washes for oily skin can help you avoid these problems and have healthy, soft, and supple skin. If you have oily skin, you will certainly want to stay away from any oil-based cleanser. The last thing you want to do is get even more excess oil on your face, right?
The best face washes for oily skin usually contain active ingredients such as salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide. These ingredients in the face wash can help eliminate excess oil and reduce the face shine associated with it. Salicylic acid is one of the best face wash ingredients, it can help reduce the visibility of the pores, eliminate oil, and increase face brightness.
What is the best cleanser for acne and oily skin?
La Roche-Posay Effaclar Purifying Foaming Gel Cleanser is recommended by many as the best cleanser for acne-prone skin. The best thing about using this cleanser is that it eliminates oil without drying the face. As a result, your skin will feel smooth, soft, and refreshed without that tight sensation. Sounds dreamy, right?
What is the best natural cleanser for oily skin?
Nowadays, more and more people want to find natural alternatives to traditional store-bought skincare products, and this is always a good idea.
When it comes to a natural cleanser to correct oil in excess and refine pores, Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash is a safe bet and one of the most recommended products due to the fact that it has 100% natural ingredients. It can even soothe skin irritations and rashes, so it is great for reactive skin. However, it can sting if it gets into the eyes, so make sure to avoid this.
Choosing the best product to cleanse oily skin is not only a matter of the right ingredients for your skin type. It is also about how the product feels, smells, and how easy it is to apply it.
Some people prefer a gel-like texture for their cleansers and face washers, while others prefer a foamy lather that is gentle on the face. There is really no right and wrong when it comes to this, just a matter of personal preference.
However, generally speaking, for people with overly sensitive skin, it would be a good idea to avoid cleansers with fragrance as this might trigger skin rashes and irritations. But if your skin can deal with perfume, then you can choose a product that has a lovely scent to provide you with a spa-like experience each time you use it!
If we were to look at the reviews online, the La Roche-Posay Effaclar Purifying Foaming Gel Cleanser is probably the best cleanser for you, if you have oily or combination skin.
However, if you are interested in a bio skincare product, the Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash might be the thing for you.
Also, if you prefer micellar water to the cleanser/ toner combo, the Garnier SkinActive Micellar Cleansing Water is highly recommended by most people who used it.