A primer that is lightweight, smooth, and non-greasy is what works best for textured skin of all types. Additionally, a primer that also moisturizes can help bring your skin back to a healthy complexion. Smashbox Original Photo Finish Primer has all of these features and more. That’s why we’ve voted this as the best overall product in our list of the best primers for textured skin.
There are other ways to handle textured skin, but a primer is more accessible and has faster results. Let’s take a look at our top picks that all offer quick and flawless results.
Best Primers for Textured Skin: Our Top 9 Picks
Here are some of the best primers to help treat and cover textured skin:
1. Best Overall: Smashbox Original Photo Finish Primer
- Quickly hides imperfections and flaws
- Makes skin silky and smooth
- Keeps makeup in place
- Has no fragrance
Smashbox was the first brand to popularize primers in the makeup community. Because of this, you can count on their products to be high-quality, safe, and contain the best ingredients. This Photo Finish primer is undoubtedly no different, with ideal coverage and feel. This makes Smashbox Original Photo Finish Primer our top choice of primer for textured skin.
While it is a little more on the pricey side, you are paying for the real deal. It is excellent for all skin types and does a fantastic job of protecting the skin from environmental damage and stress. It is not greasy, nor will it leave your skin feeling oily or dry. Since it covers imperfections with ease, this primer truly makes a difference in looks and confidence.
- Photo Finish Foundation Primer Oil-Free, 1 oz.
- Paraben-free; phthalate-free; fragrance-free; talc-free; oil-free
- The package dimension of the product is 4"L x 5"W x 4"H
2. Most Versatile: Maybelline Baby Skin Primer
- Great for people who do not wear makeup, including men
- Keeps makeup on the eyelids as well as the face where it belongs
- Ideal for those with sensitive skin
- Makes skin feel super soft, and a little goes a long way
If you need a primer that does not require you to wear makeup over it, this one is for you. Perfect for sensitive skin as well, it works all over your face and neck, blurring pores and smoothing the skin. It truly does make your skin feel as soft as a baby’s.
Skin health is essential, regardless of gender identity. Since using this primer does not need makeup to be successful, you might be able to convince even the most stubborn people in your life to give it a try. When used with makeup, it looks and feels good, keeping eyeliner, eyeshadow, and more where it is supposed to be.
- Pore Minimizer Face Primer: A pore-blurring makeup primer, Baby Skin goes on like a moisturizer to help create a smooth canvas over which to apply foundation and leaves the skin looking matte and poreless
- Bye Bye Pores, Hello Baby Skin: Apply primer, face makeup and concealer, or wear primer on a bare face for a low-maintenance look that's smooth, matte and moisturized all day; If you're looking to minimize pores, no more searching; This primer is for you
- Best Face Forward: Maybelline has sheer, medium and full coverage foundation in liquid, stick and cushion foundation formulas and a range of concealers, plus face primers, contour, highlighter and pressed powder to help you create a perfect canvas
- Maybelline has what you need to create any look: foundation, bb creams, concealers and highlighters to create a perfect canvas, eyeshadows, brow pencils and eyeliners for any eye look and lip products, from show stopping matte lipstick to au natural lip balms
- Remove Maybelline Makeup With Micellar Water: Use Garnier Micellar Water as a gentle makeup remover at night and as a facial cleanser in the morning to prep skin for Maybelline makeup
3. Best Oily Skin Primer: NYX Studio Perfect Prime
- Leaves skin feeling silky soft
- Suitable for all skin types
- Does not exacerbate acne or clog pores
- Also available in color correcting purple and green
This primer is a matte and clear combination, which makes it ideal for those with oily skin. With a subtle glow and no shine, you can apply makeup with ease and trust it to last. There is no heavy feel with this primer, and you will have little discomfort wearing it all day long.
Without clogging pores, it is ideal for oily skin. Even those with dry skin may benefit from this primer. Also available in tinted varieties, you can choose from tone correcting green or brightening purple, depending on what kind of contrast works best for you.
- Studio Perfect Primer: Prep your complexion for perfection using our Clear Studio Perfect Primer; This silky formula creates a smooth matte surface for foundation and prolongs the wear of your makeup; Also available in color correcting Lavender and Green
- Smooth and Easy Application: Create a smooth matte finish before makeup application with this easy to apply primer; Also available in color correcting Lavender and Green shades to address a variety of skin concerns
- Face From Foundation To Finish: Complete your makeup look with our full line of NYX Professional Makeup face products to aid in color correction and coverage from blush, bronzer, foundations and contouring concealer to palettes and powders
- Cruelty Free Cosmetics: We believe animals belong in our arms, not in a lab; All of our makeup is certified and acknowledged by PETA as a cruelty free brand; We don't test any of our products on animals
- Discover NYX Professional Makeup: Try all of our professional makeup and beauty products today, from eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara and false lashes to lipstick, foundation, primer, blush, bronzer, brushes and more
4. Best Budget Primer: Rimmel Stay Matte Primer
- Ideal for dark skin, leaving little residue and not lightening the skin
- Long-lasting coverage and comfort
- Works great for both combination and oily skin
Not only is this primer super affordable, but it also gets the job done seamlessly. The matte formula addresses oily areas as well as dry. Humidity and high temperatures pose no problems to the staying power of its coverage.
Without clogging pores or irritating the skin, this primer is worth the price and much more. Gentle on the more sensitive skin of all types, it will smooth and blur many flaws and imperfections on your face and neck. You can also wear this without makeup, allowing it to be highly versatile and approachable.
- Volume: 30 ml (1 fl oz)
- Skin perfecting
- Ultra lightweight formula
- Controls shine for up to 8 hours
- Never feels greasy or heavy
5. Most Long-Lasting Primer: Elizabeth Mott Thank Me Later Primer
- Lasts all day, even on the eyes
- Very little product goes a long way
- Works well in warmer climates with high humidity
If you live in an area with high heat and humidity during the summer, this is an excellent primer for you. It lasts all day, keeping even the most complicated makeup techniques in place. Oily eyelids do not even stand a chance against its effectiveness.
This primer will not disappoint those who like to head to the gym after work. Even through all the ins and outs of daily life, it will keep oil under control and makeup in place. Also, a minimal amount will go a long way to keep your face smooth and protected.
- PREP AND PRIME: Get instant, mattifying results with a primer that brightens and balances skin tone
- BYE BYE PORES: Kick visible pores to the curb and create a smooth canvas with our pore eraser primer
- LONG LASTING: Lock down your foundation with a light weight, hydrating primer that will last all day
- OIL CONTROL: The waterproof, non greasy formula ensures your highlight is the only thing that shines
- NO ANIMAL TESTING: Elizabeth Mott is a cruelty free brand in PETA's Beauty Without Bunnies program. MONEY BACK GUARANTEE. If for any reason you aren’t satisfied, contact us for your money back, no questions asked.
6. Best Anti-Aging Primer: Dermalogica Skinperfect Primer
- Has moisturizing ingredients and SPF 30
- Slightly tinted for perfectly smooth results
- Also ideal to even out skin tone
- No need to wear makeup to be effective
With a generous amount of moisturizing ingredients and an SPF of 30, this primer is excellent for protecting the skin. It goes on smoothly and has an incredibly lightweight feel to it. Even though the price is on the higher side, a little bit of product goes a long way, and it is worth it with all the provided benefits.
As a professional grade product, it helps treat the skin while making it look healthy, even, and hides wrinkles, fine lines, and more. The silky smooth feel will not clog pores or irritate any acne that is present. It is even possible for this primer to replace your foundation entirely, especially if the tint perfectly matches your skin tone.
- Beauty and Personal Care Product;Dermalogica Skin Care;Packaging may vary
7. Most Moisturizing Primer: Cover FX Dewy Skin Primer
- Fermented algae extract protects from pollutants such as heavy metals
- Can be worn with or without makeup
- Free of fragrances and parabens
- Excellent for dry and combination skin
As far as moisturizing primers, this one has plenty of ingredients that keep your skin hydrated and smooth. With coconut alkanes as well as hyaluronic acid, there is no doubt in its moisturizing ability. It also does a fantastic job of covering acne scars and large pores.
Without the lingering stickiness of some products, it goes on beautifully and feels like silk. It will take very little time and effort to get results from this primer. It does an excellent job of providing ample coverage of flaws and adequate moisture for textured skin to repair itself.
8. Best Tinted Primer: Neutrogena Prep + Correct Primer
- Made with seaweed extract for a refreshing feel
- Available in three tones for versatile coverage
- Great as a makeup base and by itself
In three color-correcting tints, this primer works hard to cover imperfections and make your makeup last longer. The green, peach, and purple colors address redness, tone correction, and brightening, respectively. Seaweed extract helps refresh the skin and decreases dullness.
This primer works great for sensitive skin. Without irritating the skin, it looks natural and covers everything that needs coverage with ease. It is also perfect for hiding dark circles under the eyes as well as age spots.
- 1-oz of Neutrogena Prep + Correct Primer to brighten and illuminate skin while evening the look of imperfections
- This prep primer makeup improves dull-looking skin and smooths skins surface to improve texture and minimize pores without settling into fine lines
- The silky, lightweight priming makeup is formulated with seaweed extract and boasts a gentle, non-greasy formula that won't weigh you down
- This tone-evening makeup instantly illuminates and brightens skin, leaving it feeling soft, smooth, and radiant
- Made to be worn alone or under makeup, the illuminating face primer extends the life of makeup and helps it glide on more easily
9. ‘Cleanest’ Primer: TULA Probiotic Primer
- Tons of natural, probiotic ingredients
- Lacks many problematic chemicals
- Ideal for all skin types and colors
With the addition of probiotic superfoods like chia seeds, turmeric, and licorice, this primer is the real deal. It has extra hydrating ingredients to help your skin repair itself and feels great as well. Along with excellent coverage and blurring of imperfections, this primer keeps skin feeling smooth.
The lightweight formula has ingredients that give your skin a warm, natural glow. The velvety feel does not lessen its benefits for sensitive skin. Wear it with makeup or without, and you will have the same fantastic results.
- INSTANTLY SMOOTHES: Our new radiance-enhancing solution is packed with probiotic extracts, prebiotics, turmeric, chia seeds, and other skin-loving ingredients that instantly smooth the look of uneven tone and redness
- A WARM-TONED, RADIANT PRIMER: As you blend this buildable formula, it releases "glow particles" that give you that sun-kissed, two week vacay vibe
- LOCK IN HYDRATION: Skin is left looking more luminous, hydrated, and prepped for the rest of your beauty routine - suitable for oily, normal, combination, sensitive, mature skin
- TULA & PROBIOTIC EXTRACTS - TULA is the leader in probiotic extract skincare. We combine powerful probiotic extracts and skin superfoods for healthy, balanced and glowing skin. All our products are clean, clinically proven, and effective.
- WORRY-FREE RETURN POLICY: Try TULA worry-free with our 30-day return policy. We stand behind our products and want you to love them as much as we do.
Primer for Textured Skin: Buyer’s Guide
Skincare is continuously evolving and improving with scientific research. An aspect of skin health that may not be at the forefront of everyone’s minds is the presence of textured skin. With textured skin, it can be more challenging to get commonly sought coverage and smoothness. A quick remedy for this problem is using a primer for textured skin.
Textured skin will need a little more attention than other complexions because there may be underlying causes for its problems. Depending on the combination of ingredients in a primer, it is possible to address this without doing much else. However, things like drinking more water and exfoliating your skin are other easy remedies to add to your daily habits and skincare regimen.
Here are a few things to know and keep in mind when choosing a primer for skin with lots of texture.
What is ‘Textured Skin,’ Anyway?
An uneven skin texture is one that is dry, dull-looking, rough, or bumpy. The decline of collagen proteins as we age is a primary cause, but other things can contribute to the process. Some of these other reasons include your genetics, cigarette smoking, sun damage, insufficient hydration, oily skin, or generally not taking care of the skin.
The accumulation of dead skin cells is what you see with textured skin. These excess cells can aid in the skin’s visible age progression. Certain foundations and makeup can also accentuate bumps or rough skin and have ingredients that do more harm than good.
Having textured skin is not the end of the world. There are many ways to improve your skin’s health and smooth out its texture during the process. Using a primer suited for textured skin is just one way to go about it.
Characteristics to Look For in Primers
There are multiple ingredients in skincare products that work to help your skin feel and look great. Some work better than others because of different skin types and needs. However, there are a few that are essential for improving skin texture.
A vital component of primers for textured skin is moisturizing ingredients. These ingredients provide dry skin with the hydration it needs to recover while simultaneously hiding problem areas. One of the best elements to look for in any moisturizing skin care product is hyaluronic acid.
Vitamin C in the form of l-ascorbic acid is also incredibly important for healthy skin. Not only does it protect your skin from UV sun damage, but it also helps to increase the number of collagen fibers. Additionally, it works to reduce skin inflammation.
The presence of retinoids is a good sign that the product has anti-aging properties. These ingredients, including retinal aldehyde, retinyl esters, and retinol, originate from Vitamin A. With the small size of the molecular structure of Vitamin A, they can help reduce fine lines and wrinkles, fight acne, improve scarring from acne and skin texture, and also increase hydration levels.
Another beneficial ingredient is alpha-hydroxy acids. These ingredients help with irregular pigmentation, enlarged pores, wrinkles and fine lines, and age spots, including lactic, citric, glycolic, and citric acids. You should slowly introduce products containing them to your skincare regimen, for they can cause sensitivity and irritation. Applying sunscreen is a must for any product containing them.
Many other ingredients contribute to moisturizing your skin. A little more research will give you a greater variety of these ingredients. It is essential to figure out which elements are ideal for your skin or which ones will irritate the issues even more. Not every product will work the same for everyone, so you should expect a little bit of trial and error at first.
Types of Primers
Primers come in several varieties, and which one you choose will depend on what type of coverage your skin needs. The best primer may even change with different activities, from working to having a night out.
Here are the different types of primers available:
Great for those with skin on the oily side, matte primers have a smooth, shine-free look. They help makeup stay on longer and are ideal for photographs using flash.
As the first type of primer to make its way into the market, clear primers are still popular. These primers diminish pores and smooth over fine lines. Another benefit is that they do not affect your skin tone.
Uneven skin tones benefit from tinted primers, and they can also double as a foundation. They come in yellow, green, purple, and pink. Each color targets different tones with a contrasting tint to even things out.
Specialty or Skin Type Primers
Particular primers can control and conceal specific skin issues such as scars or inflammation. Some have SPF, which is incredibly vital for skin protection. For the best result, choose a primer that targets the specific problems you want to address.
Formulas for more youthful, smoother skin have Vitamin C, collagen, and hyaluronic acid. These ingredients not only help cover wrinkles and lines but work to provide adequate hydration for your skin.
Frosted or Pearlescent Primers
Just like clear primers, frosted primers smooth the skin and hide pores. However, they also add just a bit of shine for those days when you want more of a healthy glow.
There are many types of primers for textured skin, but each one may not work the same for everyone. Though we’ve chosen the Smashbox Original Photo Finish Primer for our top pick, you may prefer a matte foundation like Cover FX Dewy Skin Primer.
Or if you’re in the market for a tinted foundation as opposed to a clear foundation, your best bet might be the TULA Probiotic Primer. With so many options on the market, you can customize what suits you and your skin type best.
Additionally, you always want to have a moisturizer with an SPF of at least 30. Not only does this keep the skin protected from the sun and further damage, but it also prevents some ingredients from causing more sun sensitivity.
It is possible to cover up and repair textured skin, even simultaneously. For the best results, however, it is essential to take care of your skin without resorting to makeup all the time. Using a primer for textured skin is fine, but addressing the underlying cause of your textured skin is a smart step, too.