A BB cream has many benefits. Acting very much like a lightweight foundation, a BB cream targets blemishes, while hydrating the skin and protecting it from UV rays.
Offering light to medium coverage, a BB cream provides a great option for days where you don’t feel like wearing heavy makeup.
As a product that is known for hydrating the skin, it is important to consider your skin type.
For the most part, individuals with oily skin tend to avoid hydrating products, however, there are many lightweight, mattifying BB creams available which are a great alternative.
Combining multiple products in one, a BB cream acts as a sunblock, moisturizer, and foundation and there are many options available that are specifically intended for those who have oily skin.
If you are uncertain of the best option for you, not to worry as we have done the hard work for you. We have browsed the market and selected our top 5 picks of the best options for oily skin.
For those who would like additional guidance before choosing a BB cream, we have included a handy buyer’s guide with our top tips for selecting the best product for your needs.
Best BB Creams For Oily Skin: Our Top 5 Picks
In a hurry? If so, we have selected our top pick for you below.
1. Best Overall: COVERGIRL Clean Matte BB Cream
The COVERGIRL Clean Matte BB Cream incorporates three ingredients that tackle the build-up of grease; this includes silica, ammonium starch, and propylene glycol.
Thanks to the oil-free, non-comedogenic formula, you can use this cream with the confidence in knowing that it isn’t going to look heavy or clog your pores.
There is an assortment of shades available which is great for catering to individuals with different skin tones. With a light consistency, it is going to be effective in hiding blemishes while creating an even skin tone to achieve a perfect look.
We particularly like how this cream is easy to apply and blend meaning you aren’t going to spend a long time trying to work this cream into your skin. Once applied, it isn’t going to feel heavy, instead, it will allow your skin to breathe.
The design of this bottle allows you to apply the required amount of product and it is available in two size options. Should you require a single bottle there is an option available to satisfy this.
However, it is also available in a multipack which is great for those wanting a spare bottle.
- This is a water-based cream that doesn’t contain oil in the formula.
- There are many shades available to cater to different skin tones.
- Affordably priced, this is a great option for those who don’t want to spend a lot on their product.
- It offers good coverage and can be easily applied using a makeup brush or sponge.
- The formula isn’t going to clog pores.
- This cream has a slight yellow tone which some may dislike.
- Oil free matte formula
- Won't clog pores
- Evens skin tones and hides blemishes
- Water based foundation
- Goes on easily and blends perfectly
From a well-known brand that has a reputation for producing high-quality products, the Maybelline Dream Pure BB Cream contains 2% of salicylic acid and is an ideal choice for targeting acne while helping to minimize the appearance of pores and imperfections.
As a lightweight cream, it isn’t going to feel heavy or cakey following the application. Once applied it is going to adjust to your skin tone to achieve a healthy look with a reduced appearance of redness. Despite being a lighter product, it still offers good coverage.
A great thing about this BB cream is that it is available in a range of shades which is great for catering to different skin tones. Although it is going to hydrate the skin, it isn’t going to be too overpowering instead leaving your skin with a matte look.
It is a great everyday makeup option, that is going to make your skin appear much healthier. It comes in a 1-ounce bottle and although this isn’t a huge amount, it is more than likely to cater to the requirements of most individuals who are likely to use a minimal amount daily.
- This BB cream can be applied and removed with ease.
- Maybelline is a well-known brand in the makeup industry so you can be confident in the quality of their products.
- There is a range of shades available which is great for catering to those with different skin tones.
- Retailing at an affordable price it is a great choice for those on a budget.
- It helps to minimize pores and redness.
- Some customers have reported that they were disappointed in the coverage as it is prone to becoming patchy.
- DREAM PURE BLEMISH FIGHTING BB CREAM: This blemish fighting BB cream with 2 percent salicylic acid helps clear acne, conceals imperfections, and is oil-free with a lightweight feel.
- LIGHT COVERAGE FOUNDATION + SKINCARE BENEFITS = BB CREAM: BB Cream adjusts to skin tone, minimizes and blurs the look of pores, and reduces the appearance of redness.
- BEST FACE FORWARD: Maybelline has sheer, medium, and full coverage foundation in liquid, stick, and cushion foundation formulas, and a range of concealers, face primers, contour, highlighter, and pressed powders to help you create a perfect canvas.
- MAYBELLINE HAS WHAT YOU NEED to create any look—foundation, bb creams, concealers, and highlighters for the perfect canvas, eyeshadows, brow pencils, and eyeliners for any eye look and lip products, from showstopping matte lipstick to au natural lip balms.
- REMOVE MAYBELLINE MAKEUP WITH MICELLAR WATER: Use Garnier Micellar Water as a gentle makeup remover at night, and as a facial cleanser in the morning to prep skin for Maybelline makeup.
The Garnier Skin Active Oil-Free BB Cream contains 5 benefits in 1 product working to control shine, while minimizing the appearance of pores, evening out skin tone, preventing sunburn, and hydrating the skin without being too overpowering.
Ingredients include wild berry, mineral pigments, and SPF 15 which makes it an ideal choice for those with oily or combination skin. Instead of leaving your skin feeling cakey, you can enjoy a shine-free complexion.
A great thing about this cream is that it provides 24-hour hydration so it is going to feel natural and it is likely to see you through the day without coming off.
Similarly to most other products, this skin active BB cream works to mattify the skin while encouraging a healthier look.
- This 5 in 1 cream delivers many benefits that help to improve the appearance of your skin.
- It comes in a 2oz bottle that is likely to see you through many uses.
- It absorbs well into the skin to leave your skin without an even complexion.
- Garnier is a brand that is known for producing high-quality skincare products.
- Affordably priced, this is an excellent choice for those who are on a budget.
- Some customers have suggested that this product leaves the skin with a more dewy finish which some may find a little off-putting.
- This Oil-Free BB Cream for oily and combination skin has a moisturizing formula made with antioxidant wild berry, tinted mineral pigments and broad spectrum SPF 15
- This tinted face moisturizer for oily skin controls shine, minimizes pores, evens skin tone, hydrates and helps prevent sunburn
- Simplify your daily routine with this 5-in-1, oily skin tinted moisturizer that will give you a shine-free complexion and more a even skin tone
- This tinted moisturizer BB cream is specifically formulated for oily and combination skin and minimizes pores and leaves a natural, shine-free finish
- In just one step, this BB cream face moisturizer for oily and combination skin provides 24-hour hydration and natural-looking radiance with a lightweight formula that primes, corrects and hydrates skin
The Physicians Formula Super BB Tinted Moisturizer has been formulated with pore-filling polymers to leave your skin looking healthy and refreshed. This BB cream works very much like a primer and aims to smoothen the skin while reducing the appearance of redness and breakouts.
A great thing about this moisturizer is that it contains SPF 30 to protect your skin from damage following exposure to sunlight. It also incorporates InstaFilter technology which optimizes light reflection while minimizing any imperfections.
While this product is hydrating, it isn’t going to be too overwhelming for those with oily skin. The formula is also suitable for those with sensitive skin as it doesn’t include any ingredients that are likely to cause a reaction. It is also hypoallergenic.
As for application, this product can be applied using a brush or a blender to achieve flawless results. It is also available in a light shade or a medium shade and while this isn’t the most expansive selection, there are still options to cater to those with different skin tones.
It is also available in a 1.2-ounce bottle which is likely to see you through many uses.
- It is easy to remove and can be done so using water.
- It is easy to blend into the skin to achieve flawless results.
- As a lightweight product, it doesn’t feel heavy or cakey on the skin.
- It comes in a generously sized bottle and as you aren’t going to require a huge amount at once, it is likely to see you through many uses.
- It lasts for a decent amount of time throughout the day without looking as though it is starting to come off.
- There isn’t a great huge amount of shades available and so this bb cream isn’t the most effective at catering to those with different skin tones.
- MULTI-TASKING MAKEUP: With InstaFilter technology, to instantly optimize light reflection, blur imperfections & visibly even skin tone this BB Cream will get you #InstaReady & protect skin with SPF 30.
- HYDRATE & PERFECT: Our gentle formula helps minimize redness & other imperfections while providing SPF protection & hydration. Apply with fingers, brush, or blender for flawless, cruelty-free beauty.
- BEST FACE FORWARD: With primers, highlighters, bronzers, & mineral powders, we have a full line of makeup to help you build a foundation for any look, all made without irritants or harsh additives.
- SENSITIVE SKIN CARE: Physician's Formula offers a full line of skin care & makeup for sensitive skin, including mascaras, lipsticks, concealers, eyeshadow palettes, bb creams, bronzers & primers.
- HEALTHY BEAUTY: All of our makeup & skincare products are hypoallergenic, safe for sensitive skin & eyes, & made without any of the 150+ known harsh ingredients found in other personal care items.
From a brand that is well known within the skincare market, the La Roche-Posay Effaclar BB Blur Cream is a great pick for those looking for a lightweight product that they can use during the summer months in particular.
One of the main ingredients in this BB cream is airlicium which is effective in absorbing any oil on the skin. Even during the summer months, you can wear this product without having to worry about it being overly hydrating or leaving your skin looking shiny.
The formula has been dermatologically tested and is free of fragrances and parabens so you can apply it to your skin without having to worry about it causing any unwanted irritations. For this reason, it is an ideal choice for those with sensitive skin too.
This product delivers many benefits. The inclusion of SPF is important in ensuring that your skin is protected from the sun. It is also lightweight so it is going to sit comfortably on the skin covering any pores while leaving your skin with a matte-free finish.
- The formula absorbs oil and blurs the appearance of any pores.
- This BB cream has been dermatologically tested to ensure that it is safe for use on the skin.
- It is fragrance-free which is great for those who suffer from skin irritations.
- Offering lightweight coverage it isn’t going to feel too heavy.
- It is from a well-known brand that has a good reputation for producing skincare products so you can be confident in the quality of this cream.
- It retails at a higher price than our previous picks and so it may not be the best option for those on a budget.
- Visibly blurs the look of pores and covers blemishes
- Absorbs oil for all-day matte even skin
- Lightweight texture
- With cutting-edge smoothing mattifier airlicium that absorbs 3x its weight in oil instantly for all-day matte skin
- Ultra light-weight oil-free texture
BB Creams For Oily Skin: Buyer’s Guide
Before making your purchase, there are particular factors that we would advise you to consider.
It is important to ensure that your chosen product is suitable for your skin. You don’t want to apply it only to find that it triggers a reaction of some kind.
Along with these factors, we have also listed our top tips for selecting the best BB cream for your needs.
Our focus throughout this guide has been to identify the best products for those with oily skin. It is important to ensure that you are aware of your skin type before making your purchase.
A BB cream is known to be a skin hydrator, hence why it is important to choose one that is suitable for oily skin as it is going to leave it looking more matte than shiny.
The formula for a BB cream that is intended to be used on oily skin should be lightweight and mattifying. Most BB creams have a light consistency which isn’t as heavy as wearing a full face of foundation and is a great alternative for those who prefer lighter makeup.
Ensure that you pay attention to the description of your chosen product to gain an understanding of the formula.
It is important to select the correct shade for your skin. Most BB creams are available in multiple shades, however, you may find the variety to be greater with some brands and more limited with others.
Selecting the best shade is important in ensuring that it compliments your makeup look. It can be difficult to judge the shade when making your purchase online.
For this reason, it may be worth reading existing customer reviews regarding the trueness of particular shades.
As mentioned previously, preferably your BB cream should be lightweight, as a thicker BB cream is likely to leave your skin with a greasy and cakey appearance. The product description of your BB cream is going to state the coverage.
It is important to pay attention to this to ensure that you select the appropriate cream for your requirements. Failing to pay attention to this factor may result in the purchase of a cream that isn’t going to achieve the final look that you were hoping for.
Blending the product
Preferably your BB cream should be easy to apply and blend.
Most users are likely to apply the product using a makeup sponge or brush and once applied to the skin you want it to be easy to blend otherwise it may look patchy.
Removing the product
Just like applying the product, your BB cream should be easy to remove. Many wearers are likely to use a makeup wipe or micellar water to remove the product.
You mustn’t ignore this factor during your nighttime regime as failing to take off your makeup may lead to a breakout.
Ideally, you want to remove the product gently without applying too much pressure to your skin.
The size of the bottle
The size of the bottle can vary depending on the brand, however, you will typically find that BB creams come in smaller bottles as you are likely to use a small amount of product at a time.
For this reason, a smaller bottle is likely to cater to your needs. One ounce bottles tend to be the most popular option, however, if this isn’t going to cater to your needs you may wish to opt for a larger bottle.
Many brands are well known within the makeup niche and so you may wish to make your purchase with a brand that has a reputation surrounding quality and worthiness.
Other less-known brands produce good quality products so do not be put off by less-known names if they cater to your budget.
You may wish to carry out some research before making your purchase as this is likely to provide you with a clearer idea of the quality of the brand.
Skin irritations and allergies
When buying a product that is going to be applied to your skin it is important to be aware of the ingredients to ensure that it isn’t going to trigger any adverse reactions.
For those with skin sensitivities being cautious of the ingredients will ensure that you don’t suffer from any unwanted irritations.
BB creams retail at various prices with some high-end options and others that are more affordable. Many high-end brands are known for producing more expensive products.
It is worth having a budget in mind so that you can cater your purchase towards this. While others may have a larger budget to spend on their BB cream others may have a tighter budget to work with, regardless, there is a cream available to suit this.
Frequently Asked Questions
How should you apply BB cream to oily skin?
When applying BB cream to oily skin, you should avoid using your fingers as this can add more oil to the skin. Likewise, when using a brush, it can be difficult to achieve an even consistency because a brush doesn’t use much force.
For this reason, you should apply BB cream using a sponge as this will achieve an even look without adding oil to the skin.
Can BB cream be worn every day?
Yes, BB cream can be worn every day.
BB cream offers light to medium coverage and is great for days where you don’t feel like wearing a full of makeup. You should then remove your BB cream before going to sleep.